Wednesday, March 4, 2020 at 4:00pm to 6:00pm
Davidson Continuing Education Center (DCC), Vineyard Room
3415 South Figueroa Street, Los Angeles, CA 90089
Research has revealed that many Americans show a positive implicit bias toward White Americans vs. African Americans, young vs. old and fit vs. obese. Showing a preference for or against any particular group does not mean that a person is prejudiced or will discriminate, but it does suggest that s/he has been repeatedly exposed to certain associations between specific groups and specific traits/characteristics and have stored them in memory. These associations are often very strong and difficult to undue without deliberate effort or ongoing training. It is possible, however, to implement practices or policies that reduce the likelihood that implicitly biased beliefs will lead to biased behaviors.
This training will introduce participants to the concept of implicit bias and what it looks like in the real world. Discussions will cover sources and causes of implicit bias, how it is measured, how it affects individuals and how it affects the attitudes and behaviors of the target group. Participants will then be given tools and strategies for considering how can implicit bias be reduced/managed at the individual and institutional levels.
Guests should take the Implicit Association Test (IAT) no more than a couple of days prior to the event. The quiz is optional and should take no more than ten minutes to complete.
Instructions: Taking the Implicit Associations Test (IAT)
· Go to this website: implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/selectatest.html
· Select the “take a test” link at the bottom of the page (usually on the left side)
· When provided with the list of tests, please select the Race (Black - White IAT)
· Print out results page and bring it to the training
· We will use polling software that will allow attendees to anonymously submit their results; participants will not have to submit their results page
· We will discuss the group’s results as a whole
· Evaluation: morehouse.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_aX