Sustainability Micro-Seminar: Growing Food, Community and Wellbeing in the Framework of Environmental Sustainability
Friday, August 19, 2022 10am to 11:30am
About this Event
This micro seminar is targeted toward incoming students interested in learning about environmental and food justice and community-based program development. The centerpiece of this micro seminar is the new UPC Peace Garden, a revitalized land parcel that is being transformed into an edible garden and wellness space near campus. Students will engage in both classroom and on-site experiential learning at the UPC Peace Garden and will have the opportunity to practice gardening skills and see firsthand how environmental justice and agroecology concepts and processes are unfolding there.
By the end of these two days, students will:
- Understand the environmental and social justice underpinnings of urban gardens
- Experience a stakeholder engagement process for community-based programming
- Differentiate between biotic and abiotic interactions in an urban garden
- Apply ecological concepts and processes to the design and management of sustainable agroecosystems, including those on a small scale
- Experience health benefits associated with gardening and working together as group
On Day 1 in the classroom, students will:
- Examine urban gardens from environmental and food justice perspectives
- Discuss the process of starting an urban garden, with a focus on how to engage and work with different types of stakeholders in a community
- Participate in a stakeholder engagement process
On Day 2 in the garden, students will:
- Increase knowledge of abiotic and biotic interactions in gardens and agroecosystems
- Have hands-on gardening experience at the UPC Peace Garden
The target audience for this micro seminar includes:
- Students interested in learning about growing food, environmental justice and community-based programs.
- Students interested in having a hands-on learning experience in a garden atmosphere with plants, soil and other elements of the ecosystem.
- Students who would like to learn about gardening opportunities that they can participate in while a student at USC.
Learn more and register at https://ahf.usc.edu/signature-events/microseminars/
0 people are interested in this event
No recent activity