Race, Gender and Millennials: The New American Electorate
Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 9:00am
Ronald Tutor Campus Center (TCC), The Forum, TCC 450
Los Angeles, CA 90089
How do baby boomers differ from millennials? Did being a woman affect Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign? Will millennials go to the polls for midterm elections?
The USC Jesse M. Unruh Institute of Politcs, Department of Sociology, Unruh Associates, USC Sociology Club invite you to a day of civil discourse, examining generation and gender gaps among voters, the racial divide and looking to the future with millennial voters.
See all photos for this event at our Facebook album here.
The New Generation Gap 9:15 a.m. to 10:35 a.m.
- Elaine Bell-Kaplan, USC Associate Professor, Sociology
- Morley Winograd, Senior Fellow, USC Annenberg Center on Communication Leadership and Policy, Millennial Expert
- Doug Schoen, Pollster, Consultant, Strategist
- Morris Levy, USC Assistant Professor of Political Science
Moderated by Geoffrey Cowan, USC Annenberg Family Chair in Communication Leadership
The Enduring Gender Gap 10:50 a.m. to 12:10 p.m.
- Jane Junn, USC Political Science Professor
- Amy Levin, Partner, Benenson Strategy Group
- Leslee Sherrill, Former Vice President, ABC News
- Margita Thompson, Vice President, Communication California Resources Corporation and former Press Secretary, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger
Moderated by Christine Mai-Duc, Politics and Breaking News Writer, Los Angeles Times
The Racial Divide 12:50 p.m. to 2:10 p.m.
- Jody Aguis Vallejo, Associate Professor of Sociology and American Studies and Ethnicity
- John Wood, 2014 Candidate for U.S. House, California District 43
- Kim Yamasaki, Executive Director, CAUSE, Center for Asian Americans United for Self Improvement
- Mike Madrid, Principal, Grassroots Lab, Expert on Latino voting trends
Moderated by Robeson Taj Frazier, USC Associate Professor; Director of the USC Annenberg Institute for Diversity and Empowerment
Millennial Voters: The Future 2:25 p.m.to 3:45 p.m.
- Laura Davis, USC Annenberg Assistant Professor of Professional Practice; Digital News Director of the Annenberg Media Center
- Steve McMahon, Co-Founder, CEO Purple Strategies
- Justin Wallin, CEO, Pollster, J. Wallin Opinion Research
- Brian Calle, Vice President, Opinion and Commentary for the Southern California News Group
- Sasha Issenberg, Journalist, Author "The Victory Lab: The Secret Science of Winning Campaigns"
Moderated by Robert M. Shrum, Carmen H. and Louis Warschaw Chair in Practical Politics and Director, Jesse M. Unruh Institute of Politics