Thursday, September 17, 2020 at 12:30pm to 2:00pm
The USC University Club presents a Webinar for the USC community.
We were all taken aback by the comments we read by our students, alumni, and staff members on the Black _at_USC Instagram account earlier this summer. It was a wake-up call for all of us. These allegations came after COVID-19 and the social unrest in America following the deaths of Breonna Taylor, George Floyd, and others.
Our students are demanding change.
Microaggressions and exclusion in our classrooms have consistently plagued our students of color. In this session, we seek to define what microaggressions are, what their impact is in the classroom and university community. Additionally, we will discuss strategies for addressing microaggressions, policing them, and creating a safer community for our students.
• Miki Turner, Moderator, Annenberg School for Communication, Assistant Professor of Professional Practice
• Dr. Laura Castaneda, Annenberg School for Communication, Professor of Professional Practice of Journalism
• Dr. Kim Finney, Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work, Clinical Associate Professor
• Dr. Brandi Jones, Viterbi School of Engineering, Vice Dean of Diversity and Strategic Initiatives
• Dr. Sharoni Little, Marshall School of Business, Vice Dean for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
• Dr. Alison Trope, Annenberg School for Communication, Clinical Professor of Communication
• Billy Vela, La CASA, Center Director