About this Event
The ALI Book Club is a free program that aims to help international students practice their English reading and conversation skills. These informal hour-long groups will be led by native English-speaking USC students, are first come first served and capped at 5 students per session.
This summer, we will read nine different short stories, one per week of the program. Please see the list below for the reading schedule. For the best experience, please read the short story of the week before attending a book club session so that you may be able to contribute to the conversation.
Free PDF versions of all the short stories we will read this semester are available to download at ali.usc.edu/ali-book-club/
Summer 2021 Scedule:
- Tuesdays 3:00pm – 4:00pm
- Wednesdays 3:00pm – 4:00pm
- Thursdays 3:00pm – 4:00pm
- Fridays 3:00pm – 4:00pm
Summer 2021 Book Club Reading Schedule
Read the short stories here before you join us on Zoom!
- Week 1: May 24 – May 28
- Tragedy at Marsdon Manor by Agatha Christie
- Week 2: May 31 – June 4
- Roman Fever by Edith Wharton
- Week 3: June 7 – June 11
- The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell
- Week 4: June 14 – June 18
- Los Angeles by Emma Cline
- Week 5: June 21– June 25
- The Art of Losing by Yoon Choi
- Week 6: June 28 – July 2
- The Sea Raiders by H.G. Wells
- Week 7: July 5 – July 9
- A Rose for Emily by William Faulkner
- Week 8: July 12-July 16
- Sleep by Haruki Murakami
- Week 9: July 19-July 23
- The Garden Party by Katherine Mansfield
You will have to register each time you enter. You may register anytime but you will only be able to access the room at the time of the session.
Please note that only current students may join. You will need to use your USC email to enter the Zoom room.